The Farata is a kind of Indian pancake that is eaten in Mauritius: a flat bread that comes with curry or chutneys. Very easy to do, even if’s a bit long …
Here is a good recipe.
– 1kg flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup of hot water
– 6 tablespoons oil
1. Place the flour, salt, 2 tablespoons of oil and the hot water in a large bowl. Knead until smooth. Leave on for at least 30 minutes.
2. Form balls of uniform size on a well floured worktop. Flatten with a rolling pin to get a pancake.
3. Brush the pancakes with oil, then fold in two and then three. Extend again using a rolling pin.
4. Cook for 30 seconds each farata on each side in a skillet or on a tawa.
5. Brush with oil from time to time to ensure that the farata does not dry out. The dough should expand during cooking.
Enjoy it with a vegetable curry or any kind of chutney ! Delicious !